Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

The Power of Mantras

When I first heard the chanting in Kundalini Yoga, it scared me off to be honest.  But when I looked deeper into the matter (years later) I realized how beautiful the mantras are.  They are all about praising God, plain and simple.  I suddenly knew there was nothing to fear.  Next, something beautiful happened.  Immediately I experienced spiritual blocks falling away.  And this was just from learning about the mantras, later I would go through many more experiences that taught me the power of words and mantra.

A mantra is a word or a sound repeated to help an individual concentrate during meditation.  It is also a slogan repeated frequently.  It is not the same as "vain repetitions" (Matthew 6:7). Vain means to have or show an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth and, in this case, repetition mean much speaking.  A mantra is the complete opposite.

In Kundalini Yoga and Meditation the mantras are in the language Gurmukhi, and I think they read like Psalms in the bible.  Here is an example:

Mantra Title: Aap Sahaee Hoa
Aap Sahaee Hoa Sachaa Daa Sachaa Doaa, Har, Har, Har

Translation: 
You, Divine One, have become my refuge. True is Your support, Great Creative Infinite

Psalm 91:2 reads:
"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust."
Pronouncing these ancient words correctly vibrates different parts of the roof of the mouth, touching on meridian points, balancing and stimulating different parts of the body and brain.  Take the technology part of it and combine it with the command to praise God and you start to see the power behind the practice.  Actually practice it and you will start to feel it.



Sat Nam,
Samantha

Sat Nam....(pronounced Sut Nom)
it's the most frequently used mantra in Kundalini yoga
SAT means truth
NAM means name, identity, to identify with or to call upon
Sat Nam can be translated to mean, "Truth is my identity."  When spoken as a greeting, you are essentially saying, "I see your true nature" or "I recognize the divinity within you."

The Power of Mantras, Part II


No comments:

Post a Comment