Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

The Power of Mantras, Part II

The Power of Mantras, Part I

Yesterday my 5 year old son was tossing toys from one hand to the other trying to "juggle."  I told him, 

 "Ya know, doing Sa Ta Na Ma meditation helps with coordination so you can do things like that." He has heard me do this meditation many times.  When I first started he would go around the house chanting "Santa Mama."  The actual name for it is Kirtan Kriya. 

I broke it down into smaller parts for him but he actually did the whole thing, including tuning in and out and holding his breath for 10 sec and silence at the end.


During the middle of the meditation, when we chant silently in our head, I noticed he was moving so I peaked at him thinking he was having a hard time sitting still.  He was wiping his eyes.  He quietly told me, 

"I'm crying for happiness." 

He was crying gently out of pure joy.  

That is a small example of the power of mantra meditation.  You don't even have to know what the mantras mean in order for them to be effective.  Some people say that the meaning is the same as "Sat Nam" since it has the same letters (the meaning is described in The Power of Mantras, Part I).  But it can be broken down even further:

Sa - birth
Ta - life
Na - death/change
Ma - rebirth

This is very reminiscent of Christ's life and resurrection and his promise that we, too, will live again. (John 14:19)

This mantra  has the power to break habits because it accesses that level of the mind where habits are created.  I will be covering in greater detail more about mantras and how they help to clear out the subconscious mind in my upcoming course 40 Days Closer to Christ.  Don't miss it - only 10 more days!

More about Kirtan Kriya
Kirtan Kriya is one of the most studied meditations and can help in the prevention of Alzheimer's and current patients. See the article on the Alzheimer Research and Prevention Website.
Here is another study that shows improvement in patients with dementia from practicing this daily meditation.
A how to video by my  amazing teacher and mentor, Felice Austin/Nam Joti Kaur.
More about mantras The Power of Mantras, Part I

Sat Nam,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment