Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Power of Words

It really is ironic that I enjoy writing.  I'm not a person of many words - or maybe that's my inheritance form my father's side but the need to share thoughts and ideas stems from my mother's side.  Whatever the case may be I think about words and their power a great deal.  For example, I never understood why people can so easily throw around the name of God (or Jesus, or Christ, etc.).

There is great power in the words we use.  They can uplift and inspire or change the vibration of any situation just by being careless with them. The meaning behind words are certainly important but words carry their own vibrational tone.  You can even think of them as a living organism capable of growing as if you planted a seed.

Think of all the words that have survived over the years.  Most mantras that are used in Kundalini yoga are from the language Gurmukhi  and have survived thousands of years.  I remember when I first searched out meditation and heard Kundalini mantras.  I couldn't make sense of them and they didn't hold my attention at all.  Fast forward several years when I found out that all the mantras are is ancient words praising God and I gave it a try and was amazed at the effect.  Felice Austin (aka Nam Joti Kaur), author of "Awake as in Ancient Days: The Christ-Centered Kundalini Yoga Experience" explains this effect of Kundalini mantras well:
"Though there are a few English mantras that work well, English is a symbolic language, which means that you say the word "love," you have to know what love means. Whereas, in Gurmukhi, the language of most Kundalini mantras, if you say the word which translates as "love," you feel love.  The patterns of the sacred Sound Current, existed from before the beginning of creation.  The patterns are simple, primal sounds that are the tides and rhythms of the creative pulse of the universe."
Isn't that fascinating? "..the tides and rhythms of the creative pulse of the universe."  For more on Kundalini mantras and their meanings, see my posts The Power of Mantras Part I and Part II.

But for now I want to bring out the importance of our words in our language.  The words we speak and think.  Are you confused about how disconnected our ideals can be from our reality sometimes?  We know that speaking kindly is a good thing, yet when we become stressed, agitated or tired, somehow we forget.  We might yell at our kids or think how life is so horrible - or how we are so horrible.  Yes, we need to speak kindly to ourselves as much as anyone.
Here's a thought: 
What kind of mantras are we telling ourselves all day long?

I challenge you to become more conscious of your thoughts during the day.  What words are you using to describe your reality to your mind and body? Try to just observe them without judgement.

Next I will be posting a tool for choosing high vibrational words to help you narrow down your goals and ideals in life.  It is a quick and easy activity that brings your values and principles front and center so you can more easily manifest what you want in your life.

Until then...

Sat nam,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment